St. John's Anglican Church

                          back to map                           

At the end of the block, turn right (west) to visit St. John's Anglican Church. Land was purchased for the Church in 1914 and further funds were raise until 1929 when the church was built. The building demonstrates typical prairie "Church" architecture. The basic shape of the building is a rectangle easily constructed by any carpenter. Often the foyer and steeple were added at a later time. The first wedding in the church took place in 1930 by Reverend Arthur Murphy of Edmonton. The church has been inactive for approximately ten years. Currently the basement is leased for an office of one of the churchwardens, and she takes care of the building. See the plaque for more details.

Picture_241

Picture_243

St. John's Anglican Church

Land was purchased for St. John's Anglican Church in 1914. Two church workers Miss Burness and Miss Winifred Jaques raised a large part of the building funds in England. Harry Parlee, a carpenter, who farmed in the Cold Lake District northeast of Millet, built the church in 1929. Bishop H. A. Gray conducted the dedication service.

The first wedding in the new church was held on January 1st, 1930. Rev. Arthur Murphy, of Edmonton, husband of Judge Emily Murphy, married Lyla Browning and Anthony Stokes.

Two other church workers, Miss Lillian Camp and Miss Thomas, prepared young people of the congrigation for confirmation. John Jones, Nancy English, Phyllis Bear, Bert and Lilly Loader, Alice Mitchell and Mollie Moore were among the first to be confirmed in the new church in 1931.

The Millet and District Historical Society erected this plaque in 2000 with the assistance of Alberta Community Lottery Board funding.

back to map  

 

This is a FREE Website!

This site contributes to Town of Millet.